Found the perfect pair of booties, but not sure how they’ll match with your favorite dresses? Perhaps you’re worried that your wild night out might look a little too Wild West? Well, not if you’re equipped with the proper styling tips, of course.
You see, the key is to keep a range of white, brown, and black ankle boots to pair with a wide variety of seasonal ensembles. That way, you can mix and match freely, saving you—and your wallet—from buying a new pair of booties for every occasion. Whether you’re looking to pair your booties with date night dresses or casual dresses for brunch, there’s always an out
Below, we’ll show you a handful of our favorite pairings—complete with some classic looks that can easily transition from season to season. And yes, there’s even room for that metallic stand-out bootie you’ve been eyeing too.
Follow along this style guide and step confidently into your next bootie-inspired outfit.
For Summer and Spring Ensembles, Stick with Brown and White
The ankle bootie is an everyday must-have for spring and summer looks. According to the style gurus at ELLE, “ankle boots are simply the best. They look good with tights and leggings; they look good with trousers; they look good with skirts and dresses.”1 We couldn’t agree more.
Plus, a stylish heeled bootie can serve up some added height. Sneak them under an airy, floral maxi dress, and the girls will swear you grew a few inches. Beyond that, they’re a cinch to style. Below, we’ll put their versatility on full display.
Bootie-Dress Combos for Brunch
When the sun comes out to play a bit longer during those warm-weather days, brunch dates—featuring all of your favorite seasonal fruits—are an absolute must. Go ahead, put in an order for another mimosa while looking effortlessly cute in a:
Bootie-Dress Combos for Going Out
The nice thing about wearing booties with a dress is that it’s a killer choice for a nighttime rendezvous, too. You can wear the same pair of shoes all day, and then party at night without worrying about getting your toes stepped on while you’re on the dance floor. Good news: The days of changing in the car between plans are finally in the rearview.
Whether it’s hot girl summer or fall, it’s time to call in the midis, the maxis, and the bodycon dresses for whatever evening affair is in store. But with so many options to choose from, let’s narrow it down to a couple of knockout looks:
- Mini dresses are perfect for channeling your inner Cher Horowitz, while also letting your legs breathe in the summer heat. Trade last year’s floaty, fairy-like mini dresses for this year’s bodycon and crocheted versions.2 We’re loving retro-inspired ribbed minis thanks to their fitted structures that hug your curves. For this look, we recommend reaching into your closet for white booties, embellishing with a set of hoops, and hitting the town.
- If you’re in the mood for an outfit that shows some skin without putting your legs on full display, opt for a midi dress with cut-outs. A white, flowy number with light brown ankle booties is appropriate for a night on the town or a breezy day at the vineyard. Plus, cut-out dresses might just be the moment—they’ve been spotted on celebrities and influencers alike, including Hailey Bieber and Hannah Crosskey.3
For Fall and Winter Looks, Opt for Black or Gray
When it’s time to trade out golden hour for the shorter, grayer (but oh-so-cozy) days of fall and winter, match the season’s energy with cool-toned booties in black or gray. Snuggle into soft oversized sweater dresses and embrace sleek, posh looks like the ones we’ve outlined below.
Find Warmth with Fur
Beauty shouldn’t be synonymous with pain and discomfort. When cold weather starts to nip at your nose—and toes—choose fur (or faux fur). Fur booties work as an excellent insulator, making your footwear both fashionable and practical.
Take note of this almost monochromic, fur-tastic fit, featuring:
As a perk, monochromic looks also help you look taller: According to digital fashion editor Amy de Klerk, “If you're dressed from head to toe in one colour, you won't be breaking up your body and will inevitably look taller than if you chop yourself in two by wearing more than one hue.”4
Booties with Dress for the Workplace
Wearing the same five office outfits can start to get dull. But with black- and gray-toned booties, the possibilities for sophisticated looks widen. Mix and match with different jewelry for creative looks that make the C-Suite wonder if you’re about to get a promotion. Here are a couple of office appropriate looks we love:
- Sweater dresses are perfect for winter days when you don’t know how the office temperature will feel. They’re cozy enough to keep you warm, while also giving you plenty of room to breathe if conversations in the boardroom start to get a little heated. Slip into a gray suede pair of booties for a look that’s just as comfortable as it is commanding.
- Pair a black bootie with an all-white outfit that tells your coworkers “I’m also a model off duty.” The sharpness of the black brings together an otherwise monochrome look, allowing the shoes to be the star of the show. Sling a faux leather work tote over one shoulder and call it a day.
All-Season Special Occasions
Ever feel stressed when you order an outfit too close to the occasion and it doesn’t arrive on time? With the right booties and dresses in your closet, you’ll never have to scramble again. Not only can these combos be worn from daywear to nightwear, but they can also transform into an on-trend outfit for wedding season.
When You’re the Bride
Chances are, you’re not going to want to stay in that heavy ballgown you picked out for your ceremony for much longer than you need to. Opt for a lighter version of the white dress for dancing and cake-cutting, and pair it with a white boot to keep yourself in line with the color scheme. To pull it all together, say “I do” to one of these nuptial-inspired visions:
- Longer maxi dresses are perfect for keeping the traditional bridal look without forfeiting comfort. Choose ruffles or flowy bottoms to feel like a full-on princess, or opt for ones with sheer details for a look that marries flirty and fun with elegance and sophistication.
Hosting an outdoor wedding? Consider a tasteful mini for the post-vows fun. Gwen Stefani’s inspired wedding dress (from her wedding with Blake Shelton) captures the perfect rock-and-roll dress and white booties combo.
5Just make sure it’s in-law approved. If you're more into the Wild West look, dress up your favorite western cowboy boot pair.
When You’re the Guest
Not confined to white tonight? Don’t be afraid to swing in the opposite direction. Bold colors like hot pink are in, and they’re not going away anytime soon.6 These dress and bootie combos are good for any special occasion you find yourself at, including your niece’s overdue, pandemic-delayed graduation:
- Maxi dresses can easily go from sweet to sultry, depending on the style. Swish at the bottom before snapping a pic in order to make the dress look breezy and billowy. For a day look, opt for a mustard yellow with a light brown bootie. Want to channel a few chic European vibes? Pair a hip-hugging black dress with shiny black booties, popular at last year’s Paris Fashion Week.7
- Bodycon dresses seem to be the dress of 2022 (and one of Kendall Jenner’s favorite looks).8 They hug your body perfectly, while emphasizing your unique-to-you shape. Opt for a shorter dress, like the little black dress, or for more of a midi dress length. Let the dress do the work for you, and pair it with a neutral bootie to let it shine.
Find the Perfect Fit at VICI
From styling western boots to dressing up Uptown ankle booties, there are many ways to pair your favorite boots with a dress. The most important tip when it comes to matching booties with your existing closet is to invest in a range of colors. Light brown ankle boots are perfect for your summer adventures while a darker-hued bootie offers the perfect transition into a knit-inspired fall look. Plus, white booties insert that extra bit of oomph when coupled with a sexy mini or midi dress.
Here at VICI, our online women’s boutique has a wide selection of booties and dresses you’re bound to love. Whether you’re a nut for neutrals or you go crazy for color, you’re sure to find a fit that suits your unique taste.
- ELLE. 15 Pairs Of Ankle Boots That Will Fix Your “I Don’t Have Any Shoes To Match” Problem. https://www.elle.com/fashion/shopping/g40667669/best-ankle-boots-women/
- Vogue. Show Some Skin in These Summery Minidresses. https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/best-mini-dresses
- Marie Claire. The dress style celebs and influencers are wearing right now. https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/fashion/cut-out-dress-704335
- Harper’s Bazaar. How to dress taller. https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fashion/style-files/news/g37611/how-to-look-taller/?slide=2
- ELLE. The Best Ever Celebrity Wedding Dresses. https://www.elle.com/uk/fashion/celebrity-style/g31805/celebrity-wedding-dresses/
- Harper’s Bazaar. Hot Pink Is the Color Trend to Rule 2022. https://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/trends/g39466595/hot-pink-clothing-trend-2022/
- Vogue. The Long and Short of It—How Paris Fashion Week Street Style Stars Mixed Hemlines. https://www.vogue.com/article/paris-fashion-week-street-style-outfit-ideas
- Vogue. Another Day, Another Great Body-Con Dress From Kendall Jenner. https://www.vogue.com/article/kendall-jenner-bodycon-dress
- Vogue. Every Closet Needs a Pair of Ankle-Length Booties. https://www.vogue.com/article/best-booties
- InStyle. This Easy Guide Is the Trick to Finding Your Signature Fashion Color. https://www.instyle.com/how-tos/how-to-find-best-color-to-wear-for-your-skin-tone
- MasterClass. How to Create Outfits by Mixing and Matching Clothing Textures. https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-create-outfits-by-mixing-and-matching-clothing-textures#how-to-mix-and-match-clothing-textures
- Vogue. 5 Shades of Gray: The Definitive Guide to Wearing the Color. https://www.vogue.com/article/50-shades-grey-outfits