Women’s Jumpsuits and rompers have been trending in the fashion world for decades, and it’s easy to see why. They provide a quick, stylish outfit rolled into one piece of clothing. You can go from frump to fashionista in the amount of time it takes you to throw on your favorite jumpsuit.
From floral and flirty to the little black jumpsuit that’s fabulous for any occasion, there’s a jumpsuit for everyone. The question is—how do you style it?
We’ve got four style tips that’ll have you turning heads as you strut your stuff (and jumpsuit) down the street.
#1 Choose the Right Fit
Everyone’s body is beautifully unique. Whether you’re curvaceous, athletic, or somewhere in between, there’s a jumpsuit out in the world waiting to accentuate every exquisite part of you.
We know every frame is different, so while you might not fit perfectly into one category, here’s a breakdown of the four major body types, and the styles of jumpsuit that complement your bombshell bod:
The Rectangular or Square Frame
People with a rectangular or square body type typically have a straight silhouette with shoulders and hips measuring roughly the same width. While you might not be the curviest girl strolling down the street, you’ve got toned arms and legs to showcase your slender frame.
Here are some jumpsuit styles that compliment your petite but mighty stature:
- Choose jumpsuits with a little extra flair up top to give your bust a little extra volume—we like the idea of a few ultra-feminine ruffles or a plunging neckline.
- Find a jumpsuit that cinches at the waist or give yourself an hourglass appearance with a thin belt that helps define your waistline.
- Off-the-shoulder styles or jumpsuits with thin straps may help lengthen your features.
The Hourglass Frame
Characterized by a wider bust and hips with a narrower waist, this voluptuous body type aptly fits its moniker. The hourglass shape complements many types of jumpsuits:
- Accentuate those beautiful curves even more by finding a jumpsuit that’s cinched at the waist.
- For a fun, contemporary look, opt for a form-fitting off-the-shoulder jumpsuit that places your hourglass figure front and center.
The Pear Frame
If your waist and hips are wider than your bust (and you’ve got a booty to show for it), you’ve probably been blessed with a pear body type. There are plenty of jumpsuits ready to complement your assets:
- Find a jumpsuit with a high neckline that highlights your shoulders.
- A strapless jumpsuit can also bring more attention to your bust and shoulders, creating an appearance of equal proportions.
The Oval Frame
A person with an oval frame typically has a mid-section that’s larger than their bust and hips. If you fall into this category, we’ve got some jumpsuits that will flatter your fabulous frame:
- Look for patterns with vertical stripes—they’re perfect for year-round ensembles and can even give the appearance of longer-than-the-runway legs.
- When it comes to the neckline, let the occasion point you in the right direction. If you’re headed for a night on the town with your boo (or your besties), show off your bust with a plunging neckline. If you’re keeping it casual, a high, but tight-fitting neckline will accentuate your curves up top and leave you with a look that elongates your torso.
#2 Layer Up to Add Dimension
The perfect addition to a jumpsuit outfit? Layers of course. Once you’ve found the ultimate jumpsuit, it’s time to add some layers. Sure, you can rock a jumpsuit all on its own and look fab-u-lous, but incorporating another layer gives your ensemble an extra level of dimension. Plus, another layer can come in handy if it gets chilly while you’re sipping on your wine spritzer.
Here are a few ways to add depth to your jumpsuit:
Include A Stylish Piece of Outerwear
Ding ding ding! That’s that sound of the celebratory buzzer if your first thought was to add a jacket. Yes, wearing a jacket is one simple way you can add some personality—and practicality— to your jumpsuit. With endless outer layers to choose from, here are a few of our favorites:
- A worn-in leather jacket
- An oversized sweater (paired with a belt that’s cinched at the waist)
- A distressed denim jacket
- A fitted blazer
- A vintage vest
Choose the Perfect Under Garment
Nowadays, doesn’t everyone have at least one bralette and crop top hiding in their dresser drawers? They’re kind of a big deal. You can wear them to dress an outfit up or down, add a hint of demure charm.
If you want to add an extra layer to your ensemble, dig through your current supply (or shop for a future favorite) and pair it with a jumpsuit with thin straps for a style that gives off easy-breezy flirty vibes. We recommend one of the following:
- A brami – Show off just the right amount of skin in this laid-back and daring all-in-one package.
- A curve-hugging crop top – If your jumpsuit is all one color, opt for a crop top with a bold pattern to add a pop of panache.
- A crew neck tee – The ultimate style addition for any occasion. Pair your fave crew neck with your most beloved jumpsuit for an I-look-amazing-without-trying look.
If you’re putting together a more formal look, worry not. There are plenty of ways to add a layer to your jumpsuit so you look effortlessly put together. Consider some of these quick go-to ideas:1
- A crisp white button-down – You can’t go wrong with a classic white button-down. It adds a level of elegance and sophistication to the jumpsuit. Not to mention, you can easily pair it with other pieces to create more smart (and sexy) styles. Two birds, one stone—we call that a success!
- A monochromatic turtle neck – A simple, one-color turtleneck is the ultimate chic and tasteful layer to add when you want to wear your favorite summer jumpsuit—even as the cool weather begins to roll in.
#3 Stand Out in the Trendiest Shoes
Choosing which shoes to pair with your jumpsuit outfit can sometimes be time-consuming. You’ve got an adorable pair of wedges, a brand-new pair of lace-up flats, and your time-honored Chuck Taylors. So, which ones should you wear with your jumpsuit?
Thankfully there’s an easy solution to your dilemma. Whether you’ve got a wide-leg jumpsuit or one that’s tapered above the ankle, heels are always a reliable choice. They elongate your legs and give your ensemble a formal flair.
But we get it. You might not always want to wear a pair of heels and we’ve got a solution for that, too. Below is a list of jumpsuits you can opt for depending on the type of footwear you feel like sporting:
- Sandals with heels – If you’re interested in sprucing up your shabby-chic jumpsuit, toe-heeled sandals are the way to go. A jumpsuit with a flare leg or a casual one made of cotton, denim, or linen pair well with this comfy-casual footwear.
- Flat sandals – Live your best carefree and casual life with a pair of flat sandals and a jumpsuit with a straight, cropped, or tapered leg.
- Sneakers – Sometimes it just feels like a sneakers kind of day, and that’s OK. Wear your prized pair with a jumpsuit that’s loose fitting up top and cropped on the bottom. The cropped legs allow you to highlight the statement piece of the outfit–the sneakers.
#4 Don’t Forget Your Accessories
The devil’s in the detail, and that includes the accessories you pair with your jumpsuit. From a perfectly placed headband to a trendy skinny belt, adding one or two well-planned accents can turn your everyday jumper into a total showstopper.
Here’s how to style a jumpsuit and complete your look from head to toe:
- Add a fun hair accessory – Headbands are very on trend right now.2 Add some sparkle and dress up your solid-colored jumpsuit with a sequined headband. If you’re keeping it casual, try a braided headband. They come in a variety of colors and materials so they work well with any jumpsuit.
- Pair it with a cute purse – Every girl needs an everyday bag. A black bag with a handle and an optional shoulder strap will flawlessly match your jumpsuit, whether you’re keeping it low-key at the coffee shop or doing it big at the hottest restaurant in town.
- Show off your waist with a belt – Although many jumpsuits come with a cinched waist or an attached belt, why not add some extra flair with a belt you’ve handpicked? Stick with a thin classic gray or black belt that you can wear with any jumpsuit or be bold and choose a wide belt in a daring color.
Find (and Style) Your Jumpsuit With VICI
No matter what your jumpsuit outfit idea entails, There really is a jumpsuit for everyone. Whether you’re into boho casual or formal and fashionable, there are a variety of ways to style your favorite jumpsuit. You could style a printed jumpsuit and sneakers for a casual day out or a white jumpsuit and strappy heels for a chic look to take on bachelorette weekend.
VICI has a wide selection of jumpsuits that are ready to travel with you on your next cross-country vacay or make you the shining star during a night of fun and frivolity with your friends.
- Thoughtful Misfit. How To Layer a Jumpsuit. https://www.thoughtfulmisfit.com/blog/how-to-layer-a-jumpsuit
- Byrdie. Headbands Are Back—Here's How You Can Wear Them. https://www.byrdie.com/how-to-wear-a-headband