If you’re anything like us, blazers started to enter your wardrobe rotation when you first snagged a summer internship or for that very first job out of college. They were your way of signaling you were a serious young professional taking the corporate world by storm (even if all you were doing was fetching lattes and avoiding your email inbox).
But women’s blazers are so much more than just stuffy office wear—especially when the oversized blazer trend comes into play. These structured jackets have become fashion’s favorite way to elevate a casual outfit into something that’s both timelessly chic and a little edgy (no wonder Vogue calls the oversized blazer an autumnal “It-jacket”).1
If you’re wondering how to style your oversized blazer into a trend-forward fit for any occasion, read on—we’ve got five oversized blazer outfit ideas to have you looking effortlessly stylish this fall.
#1 Dress It Down with a Pair of Jeans
Worried about your blazer looking too formal for everyday wear? Have no fear. Pairing an oversized blazer with your favorite pair of jeans is a fantastic way to dress down this classic staple. At the same time, you’re also creating an easy and elegant look that some refer to as “the eternal supermodel outfit.”
We love the way our She Knows It All Pocketed Blazer in black looks when worn over a pair of light wash wide leg jeans. Pair it with a crop top to give it a flirty edge or a vintage white tee for that model-off-duty look. Tie the whole look together with a statement accessory like a pair of chunky gold hoops and finish it off with a great pair of shoes, like:
#2 Get Sporty with an Athleisure Look
Let’s be real for a second: sometimes being comfortable is the number one priority when you’re getting dressed in the morning. It’s no wonder then that athleisure has been consistently one of the most popular fashion trends for much of the past decade3—after all, who doesn’t love wearing a sweatshirt to brunch or sporting a crop top and leggings matching set?
Pairing athleisure-inspired looks with an oversized blazer is a splendid way to tone down the boxy, formal feeling of a blazer while also making it acceptable to wear sweatpants in public (a cause that we’re very in favor of). Here are some of our favorite ways to get sporty in an oversized blazer:
For more edgy looks consider getting an oversized leather blazer and check out our list of the best leather jacket outfits you can create with it.
#3 Pair with Mini or Midi Skirts to Play with Proportions
An oversized blazer is one of our favorite things to pair with a closetful of skirts. Depending on what kind of skirt you’re in the mood for that day, it makes for a fun way to play with the outfit’s silhouette.
Some pairing ideas for your midi skirt inspiration:
- We love mixing a calf-length midi skirt with a blazer for a stylish ‘90s-inspired outfit—think something that Elaine Benes from Seinfeld or Rachel Green from Friends would be spotted in.
- For fall, we’re pairing midi skirts in autumnal prints like dark, moody florals or rich, earthy shades like maroon or navy with warm, relaxed options like our Chicest Pocketed Velvet Blazer in black.
- Add a pair of toffee-colored heeled slouchy booties and a skinny scarf for the perfect ensemble for grabbing a hot apple cider and picking out some decorative gourds.
To take us on a little trip back in time, we’re digging our favorite mini skirts out of the closet to replicate these Swinging 60s-inspired looks:
- An oversized blazer makes these sky-high skirts look chic and timeless, while its length also provides visual contrast against the short hemline.
- Wear your mini skirt and blazer with a pair of tall, slouchy boots for an elevated take on a go-go girl look, or pair them with Western-inspired boots for a touch of the unexpected.
- You don’t need to retire your blazer and miniskirt combo once the weather turns too chilly for bare legs either. Add a pair of patterned tights for a pop of print or shimmering fishnets for a bit of sparkle, or wear a classic pair of black tights in a flirty semi-sheer finish.
#4 Make Workwear Playful with a Pop of Color
Blazers are a favorite workwear piece for a reason—they elevate any outfit and give you that boost of confidence and authority that you need to crush your presentation or kill it in an interview.
But blazers in the office also don’t have to be boring. We love building an outfit around an oversized blazer for a fun play on shapes and proportions that turns a boardroom staple into a cool, effortlessly feminine statement item.
Here’s our foolproof plan for using an oversized blazer to create the perfect office outfit:
#5 Put a Chic Twist on Your Favorite Dress or Jumpsuit
Ditch the cardigans and wraps and try adding something new and chic over your favorite dress. An oversized blazer can be the perfect way to put a stylish new spin on a tried-and-true dress to make it look fresh and trendy.
We talked about how much we love '90s-inspired styling earlier, but we didn’t mention one of our favorite pieces of ‘90s fashion: the slip dress. Simple, curve-skimming, and sexy, the slip dress is a go-to whenever we need something with that wow factor. Pair it with an oversized blazer like our She Knows It All Pocketed Blazer for an elevated and slinky look perfect for a summer wedding or a flirty night out.
Looking for jackets to wear with dresses that are perfect for festive nights and holiday parties? Winter is when we bring out our most show-stopping looks—think glitter and glitz. Wear a colorful sequined dress or sleek black satin dress with our Chicest Pocketed Velvet Blazer the next time you’re getting merry or ringing in the new year. The richness and warmth of velvet bring the perfect touch of wintry chic, and we love that the blazer comes in fuschia, emerald, and ruby for an elegant, jewel-toned moment.
Oversized blazers don’t just look great with dresses—we also love them with a jumpsuit. Pair them with a neutral yet classic jumpsuit like our Off to the Opera Strapless Jumpsuit in black, which features dramatic wide legs and a polished twist detail on the bodice. A simple, structured piece like this really pops when paired with a boldly colored blazer like our Standards Pocketed Blazer in Tomato Red. Add a dramatic red lip and a pair of stilettos for a streamlined yet daring look.
Get Inspired for Your Oversized Blazer Look with VICI
Finding clothes you feel confident in can feel like having a personality makeover. And whether you want to dress up your casual look or bring some more style to the office, an oversized blazer might be an easy way to fashion a whole new you.
At VICI, we offer affordable, on-trend pieces to have every woman looking and feeling her best. When you shop at VICI, you’ll find outerwear such as jackets for women, women’s sweaters, shackets, and more, along with the perfect pieces to pair them with to create outfits that are uniquely, stylishly you.
Visit us at VICI today to discover curated styles and looks, all at a price you’ll love.
- Vogue. Go Big or Go Home: Power Shouldered Blazers Are Back on the Agenda. https://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/article/oversized-blazer-trend
- Vogue. The Eternal Supermodel Outfit?2 Jeans and a Blazer. https://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/article/blazer-jeans-supermodel-style
- InStyle. What Do We Even Call “Athleisure” Now? https://www.instyle.com/fashion/athleisure-trends-2022